Attorneys Representing Clients In

New Hampshire And Massachusetts

Life after a New Hampshire collision and spinal cord injury

On Behalf of | Jan 25, 2024 | Personal Injury

It takes time to fully recover from the physical jolt and emotional distress of a New Hampshire car accident, even a minor fender bender. When a serious accident occurs, a victim’s life may be forever changed. For example, for someone who suffers a spinal cord injury in a collision, life will never be the same.

Leaving the hospital following a collision and spinal cord injury is scary

After suffering an injury to the spine in a New Hampshire motor vehicle accident, a recovering victim is likely to spend days, if not weeks, in a hospital. When the doctor signs the release form, the patient might experience mixed emotions, including joy and excitement to be going home, as well as fear and trepidation about life ahead. Adjusting to new daily routines can be challenging and frustrating.

Possible implications of a spine injury after a car accident

Many recovering accident victims with spinal trauma experience feelings of anger and depression. It is also not uncommon to develop post-traumatic stress disorder following a catastrophic car accident. A spinal cord injury might necessitate a career change or might even prevent an individual from being able to work. Thankfully, there are many resources available to help spinal cord patients adapt to a new lifestyle and cope with feelings of anger, PTSD or other mental health issues.

You should not bear a financial burden for a collision you did not cause

If another New Hampshire driver’s negligence caused the collision that resulted in a spinal cord injury, there is no reason the recovering victim should have to bear the full expenses associated with medical care. He or she may also be entitled to financial recovery for losses, such as loss of income and medical bills. State law provides recourse for an accident victim who has suffered a catastrophic injury due to another driver’s negligence by allowing him or her to seek compensation for damages.

FindLaw Network